Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Week

So, I've sworn off "Day in the Life" posts when and if I have kids... to the point of making Sew vow to promptly give me a swift kick in the behind and force me to shut down my blog if I ever resort to that kind of mundane writing. This blog is anything but mundane.

But since my life right now is absolutely void of breastfeeding issues, screaming kids, nap times, whining, fussing, teething, and play dates (ok, so maybe there is some whining and fussing, but I'm working on that), I figure this week might be a good one to put on display for my readers.

(I'm just realizing now that this may take a while, because all the days blur together recently... hard to remember when certain things happened.)


Wake up to the foulest smell known to mankind, and start searching around the bedroom floor for cat shit. Nada. Make my way downstairs where the smell is getting stronger, and get too scared to walk to the back of the kitchen, where I'm convinced the smell is coming from. Send DH to back of kitchen where it is confirmed, Cooper (pitbull puppy) has had diarrhea ALL over his crate. Realize, 10 minutes before Mass starts, that we are out of paper towels. FIL arrives to help us paint the trim (radiators and doors) in the kitchen, and so we let Cooper out of his crate, close the door to the back of the kitchen so my FIL doesn't pass out from the smell while working, and go to Mass.

Show up to Mass in jeans (I HATE doing this, but time was of the essence this morning), and wouldn't you know it, we are asked to bring up the gifts. Learn another valuable lesson in humility as I present the gifts looking like a dirty hobo. Meanwhile DH is inwardly smiling because he knows that for once he actually looks much more presentable than I do.

Arrive back home, DH runs out to store to get paper towels, and when he comes back (less than 5 minutes later), discovers that Cooper has somehow in 5 minutes, and immediately after having gone outside, sprayed diarrhea all over our dining room: on the original pumpkin pine floors, on the marble fireplace and on the antique china hutch. Good thing he got the 6-pack of paper towels.

The remainder of the day flies by while we finish painting the kitchen, clean out the basement (including moving the old dryer out to curbside) for a townwide pick-up early the next morning (post-hurricane pick-up), and rip up the kitchen carpet. Shop around online for good quality Vinyl Wood-Finish flooring to use as a temporary solution... anything's better than carpet, right?


Leave for work at 6:00am. Chat with a long-time NaPro patient who I've been doing ultrasounds for since last year (also a blogger). Drink a 1/2 cup of coffee. Take an online training class to become certified to do the Nuchal Translucency scan. At 10:30am, realize my lunch (that somehow DH had the time to make for me the night before) is still in my purse, so I take it out and put it in the fridge.
11:30am, leave the first workplace to drive to the next workplace (35-40 mins away). Arrive at second workplace before realizing I left my lunch in the fridge at the first workplace. Grab GF crackers from my passenger's seat.
At 2nd location, have a follow-up with a perimenopausal woman charting for PMS - her chart is an absolute mess and we have to go back to basics. Then, do an ultrasound for one of my favorite patients, a NaPro woman who suffered primary infertility a number of years before achieving and finding out she was pg while waiting on the operating table for surgery... only to have a very late-term loss (37 weeks, I think?). She got right back in the saddle and is an absolute inspiration to me, because earlier this year she was pg again and lost the baby at 18 weeks. Please remember her in your prayers - her spirit is remarkable, and I hope some of her strength will rub off on me.

Finally finish all of my work at 5:15pm, and get home at 6:00pm. I no longer see the light of day from my house anymore. Oh, and I'm starving! DH makes chicken wings, while I begin measuring the wall panels in the parlour, marking the walls, and cutting the textured wallpaper... I had planned on painting the wallpaper tonight, but that's not gonna happen. Eat, work some more on the wallpaper, and go to sleep.

(An aside: I have NO IDEA how working moms do it. By the time I get home at night, I can't even muster up energy to make dinner for myself and my husband, let alone kids! Kudos to all the working moms out there!)


Leave for work at 6:00am. Too tired to make my morning shake, hubby makes one for me; he's been up until 4:30am painting the mouldings that arrived Monday afternoon. DH goes back to sleep as I leave the house.
At work, spend most of my day feeling absolutely useless because today's the day we share our office space with another Dr - he usurps the office that I usually work in, and I have no ultrasound or charting patients, so I make a few SFA kits, organize the Creighton files, and wait until 11:30 rolls around... wishing I were home so that I could put all this time to better use on the house!! But then realizing, no, wait, at least I'm getting paid to be here. And we NEED that money. Luckily, my ARDMS card arrived in the mail, so I bring it over to HR so that I can get my raise for being a Registered Sonographer. (Did I mention I passed my exams? I've been just a bit busy, so, sorry for the confusion.)

Grab sandwich from yesterday out of the fridge, eat it quickly, and leave for the next job, hoping that I can sneak out a little early today. No such luck: the medical assistant had to take the afternoon off, so now on top of my ultrasounds and regular office work, I need to do all the afternoon patients' intake (vitals and room them). Get a surprise visit from my NaPro goddaughter and her father (the parents are friends of ours from Marriage Encounter and also my charting clients; they conceived my goddaughter the cycle after surgery, and she was born 2 weeks ago). Hold the baby, who looks, I must say, blissfully peaceful in my arms, and introduce her to one of the NaPro Drs who helped her come into existence. Pose for pictures in the office, holding the baby.

Ultrasound patient arrives, who is also newly pregnant. Perform the worst kind of ultrasound - the kind where the baby isn't growing appropriately, the heart rate is much lower than it should be, and I need to be the bearer of bad news. After the Dr speaks with the patient and reiterates what I had already told her (We can't know for sure yet, there are always miracles, but it doesn't look the way we would hope at this stage), I tell the patient that until next week's scan, I will be praying for her daily. And I remind her that while we will pray for a miracle, she needs to know that if the miracle doesn't happen, she is not being punished. There is NOTHING she did or didn't do. I see the tears finally flow from her eyes, and while it breaks my heart, it also makes me feel better for her... you see, I hate seeing the infertility patients and miscarriage patients enter and exit my room completely collected, stoic, and emotionless. I KNOW that they are waiting until they are in the safety of their car to break down, where often, they have no support (if their husband isn't with them). I want them to know that OUR OFFICE will be that support. They can show their vulnerability, because I feel it for them, too. That it's ok to cry. It's ok to be mad.
Get home at 6:00pm again, and tell DH to please pray for this patient. He asks me if this is the worst part of my job, and I respond, it's both the best and the worst.
DH has finished all of the chair rail in the dining room, painting, measuring, cutting, and coping. It looks amazing. He goes upstairs to sleep a while since he is exhausted, and I grab some herring and crackers as a quick dinner while I cut some more wallpaper. An hour later, I leave for my singing group rehearsal. Get home after 10:00pm, and promptly go upstairs to sleep, despite the fact that it's fertile time. Way. too. exhausted.


Somehow drag myself out of bed at 5:30am and shower without passing out from exhaustion. It's only Wednesday?? Really?? Get to work, do an early ultrasound, and see that my sonohysterogram patient later this morning has cancelled. Utilize this time wisely by blogging, instead :) Try to resist the urge to grab a cup of coffee... but man, I really need it...

So, this may not be an entire week, but you get the gist. Tonight's plan is to paint all the wallpaper for the panels, and then have a marital therapy session with my therapist.

The reason we've been working so aggressively on the house is because our Housewarming Party is this Sunday. Consider this your invitation if you are in the area and would like to come!!

DH still hasn't been able to start his job, but we're praying he can start immediately after the next court date, Oct 7th. Sigh.
I'm going to go get that cup of coffee now. Sorry.

Stay tuned because after this weekend, I will finally be posting some pictures of the house :)


Blessed and Broken said...

God bless you ...tuesday u/s :*-(

Thinking of you today on the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross.

Nicole C said...

I know this wasn't the gist of the post, but I REALLY want to see more pics of the house updates!! :)

Praying for Hope said...

Looonnnng week and it's not close to being over yet. I hope you the doggy diarrhea came up okay. That stuff is insidious. We had a week lomg episode with our pup recently which required the use of a carpet cleaner when all was said and done. I feel for you.

Sew said...

Okay, so I'm confused...

Why did you post a week in the life if you hate them?

Who eats herring? You tard you could have fit me in for a follow up on Tuesday! BUSTED!

Anyway, are you going to continue this? BORING! ;)-

Sarah said...

Okay, so I don't always get into "day in the life" posts, but this really was interesting to read! And I too wonder how working moms do it. I am completely wiped out in the evenings. My Dh makes a lot of meals too. The house sounds like it will look amazing.

All in His Perfect Timing said...

Oh my gosh, girl, how DO you do it? I'm exhausted just from reading your post!!! I had to laugh, although it WAS.NOT.FUNNY about the dog diarrhea. It sounds like something my cats would do. And I'm sure it was super-gross to clean up.
Prayers go out for your U/S patient on Tuesday. I hope the baby will be ok. I would be the lady who would bottle things up and cry alone in my car if that happened. Its such a reassuring thing you said to her to let her know you were there for her. You touch people's lives in so many ways!

WheelbarrowRider said...

Crazy busy week! I don't know how working moms do it either. The two days I work are nuts in the evenings. I think we would eat frozen dinners daily!

JellyBelly said...

I'm exhausted after reading about your week!

I don't know if I would have the strength to tell patients bad news (it's hard enough to tell parents that their kid is having problems in school!). You are quite the special lady!!!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Wow. I got tired just reading it!! Sorry about the doggy diarrhea. And congrats on passing your exam!! And God bless you for being such a comfort to those patients in their time of need. You are an angel. Also, I wanna see house pics too!!

JellyBelly said...

ps This infertile can't wait to see and help out at house!!

Anonymous said...

You have a very full schedule! We rarely did home-cooked meals (other than pasta) when we were both working full-time 60 hour weeks. It's impossible!
Can't wait to see the house pics :).
And, I love the day-in-the-life posts. It's so interesting to see how other people spend their days. To me, at least.

Kerry said...

Wow. That was really interesting!

Oh my gosh I could not deal with dog doo. That was crazy heroic.

What an amazing job you beautiful the service you can provide to people in their time of need.

Hey so how can I get wander by you....check for follies...?

the misfit said...

Sounds like you've done a lot of work! Can't wait for the before and after pictures! Also, can't BELIEVE how much you do in a day.

Danya @ He Adopted Me First said...

Okay, I'm still waiting for the short hair do photos...but I can't wait to see HOUSE photos. I love to work on my house but hate to clean up dog doo. 'Felt so bad about the sick baby but glad you're there for her. 'Still prayin' for YOU to get preggers! Shew...this post made me tired. Coffee is my bestest friend.

Marissa said...

There was tons of excitement in this post! Definitely better than the usual "Day in the Life" post. You definitely keep things interesting.