We are moving forward with the house - I was mistaken in my assumption that we could not make an offer until some things were improved in our mortgage application, but we actually will be getting the PRE-approval this week sometime! I am definitely interested in anyone's advice about when to make the first offer. Here are the facts:
The home has been on the market over a year. First, it was the son who had control of the selling of the estate, and he believed it to be a "goldmine," wanting $700,000 for it. (Shhh, don't tell him I agree with him, it IS a goldmine!) His listing agent finally convinced him not a single home in the borough sold for that much, and that he needed to scale it down - which he did - to $499,900. There it sat for about a year.
Then the daughter took over the reigns of trying to get it sold, and, as the listing agent told us, is VERY motivated to sell it quickly. She lowered the price to $250,000. It has been on the market at that price, as of today, 80 days. The only interest has been from us and shortly before us, an engineer who was primarily interested in those extra lots in the back. He never made an offer after seeing the home, though.
Now, here we are in a position to make an offer sometime this week. Do you think we should make one this week, or wait until it's been on the market 90 days? (Maybe she'll even reduce the price at that point?) We've told the listing agent that we are interested in the home AND another one (which is the truth, but we definitely prefer the first home) which is listed at $235,000 and is completely renovated already. Since the listing agent knows we have this other home on the backburner, we think he'll realize (and tell the seller) we will not be going above $235,000 for this home. As awesome as it is, there are a bunch of things that would need immediate attention - nothing majorly wrong, but the single-pane windows that do not have storm windows would need them, and quickly, or we'll freeze our butts off. We need to get a bigger service panel with more amps.
When did this turn into a real estate blog?
Anyway, do you have advice? Should we make an offer as soon as we are able? Wait until shortly after 90 days on market? (Which will be next Friday or early the following week.)
All I know is it seems the days are going SO SLOW!
We are just so excited to be moving onwards with our lives. I know this may seem like small beans to most of you, but trust me, when you've lived with your in-laws for over four years, it is HIGH TIME to be getting out!
Saturday DH and I went to Confession and Mass. Between the two we had some time, so we went and sat in front of the Eucharist. It was a great opportunity to take Father Mike's advice and just RELAX in prayer. I literally just cleared my mind. I said a couple of prayers out of habit, but then just did NOTHING. And you know? It felt awesome! I really do feel a peace coming into my life that has not been there for a very long time. It's funny, because in Confession just a few moments earlier, I had mentioned to the priest that I was finding it difficult to understand my Cross. But once I came into the presence of the Eucharist and cleared my mind, I realized, it's not for me to understand! It's for me to CARRY and embrace. (And how timely that The Comeaus comment came right after this experience! Elizabeth, we may be soul-sisters!)
Do I still ache to have a baby? Yes. But somehow, it's not the same kind of ache. The ache doesn't rip me apart from the inside out the way it used to. Now, I look at my life, and I mourn the things that could have been or "should" have been if I had planned it all... but instead of allowing myself to wallow in that misery, my heart lets them go. It's just like Father Mike was saying! I feel like I've opened up the windows in my spirit, and all of the smoke is no longer building up, making it difficult to breathe. I am spiritually refreshed. And, dare I say, joyful.
God is so good!